Offices in Ottawa and Perth
(613) 722-1500

CONTACT US (613) 722-1500

Real Estate

Our Approach

Are you planning on purchasing a new home? Or, perhaps you want to open or expand a property as a commercial venture. Regardless, you need to be aware of the legal steps necessary to complete a transaction. By working with a certified legal professional with experience in real estate law, you can move forward armed with more knowledge by being fully informed on appropriate steps to take.

Mann Lawyers specializes in real estate law, with over 100 years of collective experience. Our knowledge and expertise make us an excellent choice for both residential and commercial clients with specific legal needs. We have a strong team of law clerks and real estate lawyers in Ottawa and Perth with extensive experience ready to assist you with all your residential or commercial real estate needs.

When you hire us to represent you, you will meet with a real estate lawyer to review, discuss, and complete your transaction. Access to any member of our team is only ever a phone call or email away. We will work closely with you to determine which steps would be in your best interests to take. We operate transparently, focused on not just meeting but also surpassing expectations — we go above and beyond for our clients to ensure they get the best possible outcome.

We pride ourselves on providing excellent service and quality work for fair value. Our goal is to deliver the facts and information that you need to make a sound, safe, and secure investment. This can protect you from unintended risks or consequences. Whether it be for a new place to call home or an exciting new business expansion opportunity, Mann Lawyers can help. We are committed to making your transaction a success and look forward to seeing where our consultations can take you.

To learn more about our Real Estate legal service area and some of the legal issues as they may arise, please visit our blog.

Commercial Real Estate
Condominium Representation
Drafting Agreements
Re-Financing Transactions
Residential Property
Title Transfers

Connect with our Team

Offices in Ottawa and Perth     (613) 722-1500

Real Estate Resources

Blog |
Real Estate
A tax sale is a sale process used by a municipality, in order to recover property tax arrears that have remained outstanding for at least[...]
Blog |
Real Estate

Posted December 19, 2023

Before the close of a real estate purchase, buyers will typically consult their lawyer to understand how they will take title to their property. However,[...]
Blog |
Real Estate

Posted November 6, 2023

If you enter into an Agreement of Purchase and Sale to buy a new build home, your offer could be conditional on having your lawyer[...]
Blog |
Real Estate

Posted October 31, 2023

The Status Certificate is a document written by a condominium corporation that discloses certain financial, governance, and legal information about the condominium corporation and a[...]
Blog |
Real Estate

Posted July 6, 2023

Speculation in the housing market has been contributing to the rapid increase in housing prices in recent years. Also called “flipping,” speculation occurs when someone[...]
Blog |
Real Estate

Posted April 17, 2023

On Tuesday, March 28, 2023, the federal government released Budget 2023. The House of Commons returns today (April 17, 2023), and debate in the House[...]

Frequently Asked Questions

A few of the costs to be paid on closing are property tax adjustments, legal fees, disbursements (e.g. title insurance, a title search, registration costs, and other miscellaneous expenses), and land transfer tax. These costs vary depending on a variety of factors, so contact a lawyer to obtain a more accurate estimate.

As soon as possible, preferably before you sign an Agreement of Purchase and Sale. A Lawyer can examine the Agreement of Purchase and Sale, and may be able to suggest clauses or conditions to protect you. If you have already entered into an Agreement of Purchase and Sale, the Lawyer can review it, to ensure that you are aware of your rights and obligations, and that all conditions specified in the Contract are carried out before the sale is final.  A Lawyer will also assist with the registration of the transfer (and other related items) for your closing.

When you buy property in Ontario, you are required to pay a tax to the Province of Ontario. This tax is calculated using a graduated formula, based on your purchase price, which typically amounts to 1-2% of the price.  In some circumstances, buyers are exempted from paying the land transfer tax, up to a maximum amount of $4,000.  A Lawyer can assist you to determine the tax amount you must pay and whether or not you qualify for this exemption.

A land survey is like a drawing of a parcel of land, that is prepared by an Ontario Land Surveyor. It includes useful information about the property, such as:

  • The full measurement of the parcel of land, including boundaries
  • The location of buildings and structures on the property
  • Improvements such as fences, pools and some landscaping
  • Encroachments, such as a building on an adjacent lot that is partially located on your property
  • The location of easements, such as those granted to your neighbours or utility companies, giving them the right to go onto your property for a specific purpose

If you do not have a land survey, you may not know exactly what you own. Your understanding of where your land begins and ends may not match what the title documents state. This could be problematic if, for example, you want to build a garage and then discover that part of it would be on your neighbour’s property.

Title insurance provides you with coverage for losses or damages that you might suffer due to title fraud, and other defects relating to your title and the ownership of your property.  Some of these defects may include encroachments, outstanding work orders, and issues with the zoning or legal use of the property.  A land survey shows the boundaries and dimensions of the property, and may disclose potential problems (such as encroachments, errors in the size/boundaries of a property, or easement rights of someone else relating to your property). Real estate transactions can include one or the other, and in certain circumstances, may require both. A Lawyer will be able to help you make that determination.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.