Offices in Ottawa and Perth
(613) 722-1500

CONTACT US (613) 722-1500

COVID-19 and Your Commercial Lease (for Landlords) (updated June 19, 2020)

COVID-19 and Your Commercial Lease (for Landlords) (updated June 19, 2020)

Mann Lawyers

Posted April 9, 2020

Can I evict my tenant for non-payment of rent?

A commercial lease agreement will often contain language that allows a landlord to terminate the lease and re-gain possession of the premises if the tenant fails to pay rent. In this case, the right to repossess the premises under the lease should be exercised in accordance with any notice or other requirements stipulated in the lease.

If a lease is silent on this issue, a landlord is entitled under statute in Ontario, after a tenant has failed to pay rent for 15 days, to terminate the lease and re-enter the premise without notice. This may involve changing the locks and preventing the tenant from using or re-entering the premises.

A landlord wishing to terminate a lease and evict a tenant should ensure that it does not inadvertently waive its right to terminate.  For example, if a landlord accepts payment of rent from the tenant after 15 days of non-payment, the landlord may be deemed to have waived its right to terminate the lease.

Landlords should also be aware that tenants have the right to apply to the Ontario Superior Court for relief against termination. The Court may reinstate the lease if the tenant pays its arrears. Further, if your tenant becomes insolvent and assigns itself into bankruptcy, you cannot terminate the lease or call on other remedies. In this case, a landlord will need to wait three months for a trustee in bankruptcy to decide whether it is going to disclaim the lease or assign it to someone else.

In light of COVID-19, no new eviction orders will be issued by Ontario Courts until further notice. Scheduled enforcement of current eviction orders are also postponed.

What alternatives do I have to evicting my commercial tenant?

If a landlord does not have other interested potential tenants and if the defaulting tenant possesses sufficient goods on the premises to satisfy the arrears, a landlord may consider maintaining the lease and using the remedy of distress to re-enter the premises and seize and sell the tenant’s property. The landlord must give the tenant five days’ notice before selling its property.

Prior to terminating a lease or seizing the tenant’s assets, it is advisable to seek legal advice to ensure that the tenant has defaulted, that the default triggers a right to terminate the lease or seize assets, that you have provided the tenant and any of the tenant’s registered lien claimants with appropriate notice and that the tenant has not remedied the default. A lawyer can also assist you in determining whether obtaining a court order to terminate is the most appropriate avenue and discuss with you the steps and precautions you should take when re-entering your leased premises or hiring a bailiff to enter on your behalf. Wrongful termination or unlawful re-entering and/or seizing a tenant’s property can lead to substantial damages for a landlord.

If you are on positive speaking terms with your tenant, you may also consider negotiating a solution, rather than attempting to terminate the lease or seize your tenant’s assets. You and your tenant may agree to fix a reasonable period of time in which the tenant is relieved of rental payments (but may still be responsible for taxes, maintenance and insurance) and, in exchange, the tenant may agree to pay increased rental rates after the grace period, enter into a longer rental commitment with you or allow you to participate in the rebound of the tenant’s sales for a certain period of time. If your lease is already a percentage lease, your tenant might agree to lower the set amount of gross sales to be met for the percentage rent to kick in or increase the percentage of gross sales to which the landlord is entitled for the remainder of the term. In negotiating a solution with tenants, landlords should ensure that they are continuing to carry out their legal obligations to third parties such as municipalities and lenders.

What programs, if any, can I take advantage of to assist me with my own finances when tenants stop paying rent?

Landlords experiencing financial difficulties are strongly encouraged to apply for a forgivable loan through the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program. Landlords may also wish to speak with their municipalities about assistance with property taxes and municipal service fees, inquire with their mortgage lenders about mortgage payment deferrals, call on bank guarantees or deposits provided under their leases and review their insurance policies to determine whether they have loss of rent insurance.

It is important to note that the Canadian government and our Courts are strongly encouraging landlords and tenants in these unprecedented times to “do their part” and make every attempt to negotiate terms in good faith and develop solutions that work for both parties, at least on an interim basis.

This blog post was written by Jade Renaud, a member of the Business Law team.  Jade can be reached at 613-369-0373 or at

More Resources

Blog |
Employment, Labour, and Human Rights, Commercial Litigation


Posted May 23, 2023

Both in my commercial and employment litigation practice, I encounter Ontario business owners faced with serious charges laid against them under the Provincial Offences Act[...]
Blog |
Family Law


Posted May 18, 2023

The recent Supreme Court of Canada decision in Anderson v. Anderson, 2023 SCC 13, provides guidance on domestic contracts and the enforceability of an informal[...]
Blog |
Environmental Law


Posted May 16, 2023

When many people think of contaminated sites, they think of the usual suspects such as industrial properties and gas stations.  They may not think of[...]
Blog |
Business Law


Posted May 9, 2023

Often business owners reach a point where they are considering the sale of their business either through the sale of shares or the sale of[...]
Blog |
Family Law


Posted May 2, 2023

Overview of Tort Claims in Family Matters Tort claims can be made in family law matters, so as to prevent a multiplicity of proceedings and[...]
Blog |
Employment, Labour, and Human Rights


Posted April 25, 2023

In a case that recently was decided from the Court of Appeal of Ontario called Celestini v Shoplogix Inc., 2023 ONCA 131, the Court had[...]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.