Offices in Ottawa and Perth
(613) 722-1500

CONTACT US (613) 722-1500

Estate Litigation

Disagreements Where There Is No Will

Where a deceased person has not left a Will, an intestacy occurs.  The problems that arise in these circumstances are immediate and can be crucial to family and loved ones who are left behind.  In Ontario, the Succession Law Reform Act (the SLRA) applies to determine how the estate left by the deceased person will be identified and distributed. When a person dies without a Will, called “intestate”, the SLRA sets out how the estate is distributed.  The formula that applies is quite particular and takes a “family tree” approach to the identification and rights of surviving family members.

According to the SLRA, the first $350,000 is given to the deceased person’s spouse unless the spouse has made an election under the Family Law Act.. From there, the balance of the estate, if it exceeds $350,000, will be shared between the surviving spouse and descendants of the deceased person, subject to the rules which apply.  These issues can of course be avoided in the main by the careful preparation and execution of a valid Will.  Our Wills and Estates Group can assist with that.

The rules which are set out in the SLRA, are complicated, and the application of the rules and the common law to specific facts can be challenging.  Professional advice in these circumstances is strongly recommended.  Where disagreements in an intestacy occur, if an out of court solution is available, we have the experience to find it.  If litigation is required, we have the team to provide efficient and cost conscious representation.

Connect with our Team

Offices in Ottawa and Perth     (613) 722-1500

Related Service Areas

Dependant Support Claims
Disagreements About A Will
Disagreements Over Capacity
Disagreements Over Estate Administration With A Will
Disagreements Over Estate Administration With No Will
Disagreements Over Power Of Attorney
Equalization Of Property After Death
Guardianship Applications And Disagreements
Passing Of Accounts
Private Mediations And Arbitrations
Variation Of Trusts

More Resources

Blog |
Family Law
Amongst the profession, we often refer to domestic contracts prepared by the parties themselves without legal advice as “kitchen table agreements”. In May 2023, the[...]
Newsletters |
Employment, Labour, and Human Rights

Posted November 17, 2023

Newsletters |

Posted November 16, 2023

Blog |
Wills, Trusts and Estates

Posted November 7, 2023

What is a Power of Attorney document? A Power of Attorney is a legal document that authorizes someone else, known as your “attorney” to act[...]
Blog |
Real Estate

Posted November 6, 2023

If you enter into an Agreement of Purchase and Sale to buy a new build home, your offer could be conditional on having your lawyer[...]
Blog |
Wills, Trusts and Estates
Do I need a Will? A short answer is most likely. If you possess assets of value, such as chequing or savings accounts, investments, a[...]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.