Offices in Ottawa and Perth
(613) 722-1500

CONTACT US (613) 722-1500

Estate Litigation

Guardianship Applications And Disagreements

Guardianship is the authority to make decisions regarding property and finances or personal care on behalf of another person. An Application for Guardianship for an adult falls under the SDA, whereas Guardianship for a minor’s child’s property and decision-making for a child falls under the Children’s Law Reform Act (“CLRA”).  These comments are directed at Guardianship Applications for an adult.

Guardianship applications are lengthy, detailed and require having management plan in place to care for the assets of the incapable person and or a guardianship plan to address the personal care needs of the incapable person.  We offer advice and guidance to clients in the often emotionally difficult process of applying for guardianship and assist in gathering supporting documents and with the accurate completion of a guardianship application. As a law firm of advocates, we are committed to helping you achieve an outcome that is in the best interests of your loved one.

Guardianship is often sought in cases when the adult incapable person did not have a valid Power of Attorney for property. A close relative, such as a parent, child, spouse or sibling, may apply to the court to be appointed guardian to manage the person’s finances. The management plan for the assets and debts of the incapable person must be in the best interest of that person.  In such circumstances, our lawyers can help you obtain the evidence that the person is incapable of managing their property, complete the full application, with the advice of financial experts if necessary. This may include a management plan dealing with the incapable’s assets, including all financial assets and the home, car, jewelry and other personal items. Throughout the process of applying for guardianship, we stand with you as you take necessary steps for the protection and well-being of your loved one.

It may be the case that there is a disagreement or contest over who is the appropriate guardian for property or personal care.  Disagreements may also occur as to whether different individuals are required for these different purposes.  These disagreements can also be emotionally draining and difficult.  Managing the relationships to attempt to address concerns and bring an uncontested application is often in the best interests of the incapable.   If an out of court solution leading to the desired result is available, we have the experience to find it.  If litigation is required, we have the team to provide efficient and cost conscious representation.

Connect with our Team

Offices in Ottawa and Perth     (613) 722-1500

Related Service Areas

Dependant Support Claims
Disagreements About A Will
Disagreements Over Capacity
Disagreements Over Estate Administration With A Will
Disagreements Over Estate Administration With No Will
Disagreements Over Power Of Attorney
Disagreements Where There Is No Will
Equalization Of Property After Death
Passing Of Accounts
Private Mediations And Arbitrations
Variation Of Trusts

More Resources

Blog |
Business Law

Posted June 18, 2024

This is an update on my earlier blog posted in 2022 titled “New Requirements for Private Federal Corporations to Report Individuals with Significant Control Coming[...]
Blog |
Estate Litigation

Posted June 11, 2024

“For it is in giving that we receive.” –Francis of Assisi Many of us grew up hearing this mantra. Good people give back. Generous people[...]
Blog |
Real Estate
What is title? “Title” is a legal term for a person or company’s rights of ownership in a private property. This is different from a[...]
Blog |
Wills, Trusts and Estates, Business Law, Real Estate

Posted May 28, 2024

The recent announcement from the Federal Government regarding an increase in the capital gains inclusion rate for individuals, trusts, and corporations has sparked significant discussion.[...]
Blog |
Family Law
When couples part ways, the shared ownership of a matrimonial home often becomes a contentious issue. In Ontario, the law recognizes two forms of co-ownership:[...]
Blog |
Real Estate
If you are purchasing a home in Ontario, you likely know that you should retain a real estate lawyer to close the transaction for you.[...]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.