I am a senior member of the Business Law team at Mann Lawyers. As Co-Managing Partner, my practice areas include:
- corporate and commercial law
- professional corporations
- tax planning and reorganizations
- trust law and estate planning, including advising on and creating inter vivos, testamentary, alter ego, partner and employee trusts
- Section 85 rollovers, Section 86 and 51 share exchanges
- business acquisitions and sales
- commercial leasing
- franchise law for both Franchisors and Franchisees
- private company securities law
- Not-for-Profit/Charity and Foundations law
- shareholder matters and agreements
- mergers and acquisitions
- business succession planning and implementation
Born in Ottawa and raised in Calgary, I obtained a Bachelor of Commerce (Highest Honours) degree from Carleton University and a Baccalaureate of Law (Magna Cum Laude) from the University of Ottawa. I was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1999. I attended the CBA for an in-depth program on tax law for lawyers and continue to attend most STEP programing. I have since practiced in small and mid-sized firm settings, as well as at the large national firm level. I use my considerable experience to assist our business clients in an efficient, client-focused manner.
I am a member of the American Bar Association, Ottawa Board of Trade and the County of Carleton Law Association, the past President of the Capital Business Association and a member of the Board of the Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival and Foundation.
I am a firm believer in this city and support many local charitable groups and causes. When not otherwise donating my time, I like to indulge in my passion for outdoor sports. In winter I am an avid downhill skier and, in the summer, I like to spend my time on the roads, cycling, paddling on the water or racing down the road on my Ninja Motorcycle.
If you need help with any business-related issues, please do not hesitate to contact me by phone or by email for a consultation.