Offices in Ottawa and Perth
(613) 722-1500

CONTACT US (613) 722-1500

City of Ottawa Imposes Vacant Unit Tax

City of Ottawa Imposes Vacant Unit Tax


Posted February 13, 2023

What is it?

As of January 1st 2023, The City of Ottawa requires all eligible property owners to declare the vacancy status of their homes. A unit is considered vacant if it was not used as a principal residence and has been unoccupied for more than 184 days in the previous calendar year. The Annual Tax Rate indicates that the rate of the Vacant Unit Tax is 1% of the Taxable Assessed Value of the vacant Residential Property and is charged on that value.

For multiple residential units assessed under one taxable assessed value, the Vacant Unit Tax is prorated based on the number of vacant residential units in the property divided by the total number of residential units in the property. In the event an owner does not declare the vacancy status of their property, a property can be deemed to be vacant. Failing to declare the vacancy status of an eligible property may cost a property owner an administrative fee.

Does the Vacant Unit Tax apply to my property?

The Vacant Unit Tax (“VUT”) applies only to properties in the residential tax class (excludes commercial, industrial and multi-residential properties). A questionnaire is provided by the City to help residents determine whether the Tax applies to their property.

Property code(s) under Schedule A  of the Vacant Unit Tax by-law define which properties are subject to the Tax. Property owners can also find their property code at the top of the second (2nd) page on all property tax bills or their Property Assessment Notice from MPAC.

Are some “Vacant” units exempt from the Vacant Unit Tax?

A vacant unit may qualify for an exemption from the Vacant Unit Tax for that Tax Year if, during the Vacancy Reference Period it was unoccupied for more than 184 days due to one of, including but not limited to, the following:

  • the death of the Owner;
  • major renovations or redevelopment to the property;
  • Tenants or subtenants who were previously occupying the unit as a principal residence are currently residing in a hospital long term or supportive care facility;
  • Transfer of 100 % of the legal interest to an Arm’s Length party;
  • a court order, court proceedings or order of a governmental authority prohibits its occupancy;
  • occupied for residential purposes by an Arm’s Length Tenant under a Tenancy Agreement, or by an Arm’s Length subtenant under a Sublease Agreement;
  • it was used as a Short-Term Cottage Rental;

Certain conditions may apply including providing the City of Ottawa with additional proof that a declarant can claim an exemption in one of the example scenarios mentioned above.

Where and When do I submit My Declaration?

The City of Ottawa provides an online Form to help residents complete their Declaration by March 16th.

Who files the Declaration in a real estate transaction?

If a real estate transaction is closing between January 1st and April 30th: the seller must complete the VUT declaration by March 16th in accordance with the VUT By-law. It is the responsibility of sellers and buyers to make the appropriate arrangements to ensure that the VUT declaration has been filed.

If a real estate transaction closing between May 1st and December 31st: the buyer must submit a VUT declaration in the following year. Buyers may be able to claim an exemption also in the following year at the time of declaring the vacancy status for properties which are sold in the reference year.

This blog post was written by Brandon Doughty, a member of the Real Estate and Wills and Estates teams.  He can be reached at 613-369-0364 or at

More Resources

Blog |
Business Law

Posted June 18, 2024

This is an update on my earlier blog posted in 2022 titled “New Requirements for Private Federal Corporations to Report Individuals with Significant Control Coming[...]
Blog |
Estate Litigation

Posted June 11, 2024

“For it is in giving that we receive.” –Francis of Assisi Many of us grew up hearing this mantra. Good people give back. Generous people[...]
Blog |
Real Estate
What is title? “Title” is a legal term for a person or company’s rights of ownership in a private property. This is different from a[...]
Blog |
Wills, Trusts and Estates, Business Law, Real Estate

Posted May 28, 2024

The recent announcement from the Federal Government regarding an increase in the capital gains inclusion rate for individuals, trusts, and corporations has sparked significant discussion.[...]
Blog |
Family Law
When couples part ways, the shared ownership of a matrimonial home often becomes a contentious issue. In Ontario, the law recognizes two forms of co-ownership:[...]
Blog |
Real Estate
If you are purchasing a home in Ontario, you likely know that you should retain a real estate lawyer to close the transaction for you.[...]
Brandon Doughty

Brandon Doughty

I practice in real estate law and in estate planning matters and enjoy working with clients at different stages of their lives. I am happy to assist first-time home buyers, persons who are refinancing for new opportunities and those seeking advice in their will or power of attorney documents as a few examples. Before joining Mann Lawyers, I articled and briefly practiced at a firm in the Ottawa Valley with offices in Deep River and Pembroke. I assisted clients in the County of Renfrew in real estate law, wills and estates and corporate law. I graduated from the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law. While at Windsor, I had the opportunity to complete an externship with the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly in Toronto to assist vulnerable older adults across Ontario. I also competed in the Canadian National Negotiation Competition. Prior to law school, I graduated from Ontario Tech University... Read More

Read More About Brandon Doughty

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.